Monday, February 6, 2012

Orange Chicken

Last week I had a great run of dinner domesticity. I made several different dinners that are out of the typical rut I find myself in. They were all successful, but this one was perhaps the most unique to what we typically eat (I make fried rice regularly and rarely yakisoba, but that's about it in the Asian cuisine). This was super yummy and I'll definitely do it again, but it did take a good amount of standing time in the kitchen so it probably won't make it into the regular rotation.

Orange Chicken!
Orange Chicken

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into cubes)

Batter:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup water (or as much as needed to make batter smooth)
6 tablespoons cornstarch
salt (to taste)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Sauce:
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup honey
4 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 cup water
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons sesame oil
the juice of 1 orange
orange zest
dash of garlic powder
sesame seeds

Cooking Instructions:
Step 1: Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet to 325 degrees. In a large bowl mix all of the batter ingredients thoroughly.
Step 2: Dip chicken pieces into the batter to coat evenly. Fry the chicken in small batches (so the oil doesn't cool) about 5 minutes each side or until golden brown.
Step 3: In a bowl whisk together all of the sauce ingredients. Pour into a pan and cook until the sauce is thickened and bubbly. Mix in a bowl with the fried chicken pieces.

2 comments:

Mom said...

I may have to try this. Sounds really yummy. I want your fried rice recipe too.....please.

Pam Emmons said...

I have made almost this exact same recipe, and you're right- it takes a while. So good though.