Saturday, May 3, 2008

Goose Eggs and Muffins

Travis has a patient who lives on a farm. A while back she told him she wanted to bring him some goose eggs. At a subsequent appointment she did in fact bring him 2. Check out the size of these suckers next to a regular large chicken egg!
She told him they're worth about 3 chicken eggs.. So on Friday I decided to make some whole wheat muffins from a yummy recipe my Mom always used. That goose egg has a thick shell! I really had to whack it to break it. When I did, I couldn't help but wonder if it was really only 3 eggs! At least, the yolk seemed much bigger than that! It was very impressive.

Okay, so when I think "whole wheat muffins" I definitely don't think of Travis, but he really loves these too, (and they did turn out great with the goose egg) so I thought I'd share the recipe. (It's super easy)

Whole Wheat Muffins
1 c. oil
2 eggs
2 c. milk
2 t. vanilla
4 c. wheat flour
2 c. brown sugar
1 t. salt
2 t. baking soda

Sift together dry ingredients. Make a well in the center. Combine remaining ingredients and pour into the well. Stir just enough to moisten the dry ingredients. Fill greased muffin tin 2/3 full. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.

My recipe doesn't say how many it's supposed to make, but my batch and a half made 4 dozen, and a single batch making 2 and a half dozen doesn't make that much sense, but there you have it.

It's just too bad Travis won't see his generous patient again for a month or so, so I won't be able to send along anything to share made with the eggs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooo. yummy. That is an easy recipe! I think we'll make some this afternoon! (of course, I don't have a cool goose egg, but I'm sure they'll be great)