Monday, October 27, 2008

Snow and Calico Bean Soup

Snow. Today. And thus commences the seven month Milwaukee sentence. (That's right, here the first snow is often in October and the last in April! *sigh*)

To make me feel better, here's a hearty recipe to warm you...

I'm not that big into chili - or maybe I'm just really picky since I've had some fabulous chilies before - but if I want a hearty bean soup/stew, this is where it's at!

Calico Bean Soup
1 28oz. can pork & beans
5 16oz. cans your choice of other beans (ie. great northern/white, kidney, chick pea, garbonzo, black, pinto, etc.)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
2 cloves garlic, minced (or 2 tsp. garlic powder)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. brown sugar
6 slices bacon

Cook and crumble bacon, set aside. Brown hamburger in the bacon pan. In separate bowl, make a sauce of the garlic, spices, vinegar, ketchup and brown sugar. Mix all ingredients in large casserole and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

For a soup don't drain the beans, for a casserole drain them.

Personally, I bake it for the casserole version and let it just simmer on the stove for the soup version (I'm too scared to pull a full soupy dish out of the oven). I prefer the soup version.

The great thing about the recipe is it's very forgiving. You don't have to be finicky with the measuring, it's a great one to just throw together. Plus you can add and subtract as you see fit. I think I usually add more of the seasoning to it (but I also usually go for for a full 2 lbs of hamburger and lots more bacon...)

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Pam Emmons said...

Thanks! It's cold here too, although we are not going to get the snow, which for a year, I can handle! Soup sounds great right now, so I will have to try this one!

Cyndi said...

We got our first snow October 13th, that's the earliest I have ever seen it here, anyway we always hope for lots snow for snowmobiling (we can't say that out loud) - but last year was a bit ridiculous. Soup recipe sounds good, I will have to send you my famous Baked Bean recipe that everyone just loves - we eat it quite often in summer and winter.

Aaron and Kristel said...

Sounds yummy! This would be perfect for a cold day like today. I love your cooking it's delicious!! :)

Anonymous said...

No need to saute the green pepper and onion. Just mix them in. I leave mine in pretty big chunks. I have also done this in the crock pot and it's great. Add some home made biscuits and honey or cornbread. YUM YUM. I'll be right over Laurie!

Larissa said...

Ohhhh. I'm not missing Milwaukee winters right now! Although I do miss the fall colors there!