Saturday, November 8, 2008

Gunshots in the Night

Last night Emmett had just quieted down at 4:45am and 5 minutes later I heard gunshots.
Boom. Bam-Bam-Bam.
Travis is a heavy sleeper, but it was loud enough to wake him up.
I called 9-1-1.

We then watched from our bedroom window as a succession of police cars, a firetruck, ambulances and later two unmarked cars rolled down the street behind our garage. From the volume of the shots and then seeing the vehicles slowing down, we could figure about where they were stopped. NOT very far.

So of course we were incredibly curious to watch the news this morning. Sure enough, the shots happened right where we thought they did. Turns out a police officer who lives in our neighborhood saw a man trying to jack his personal car from his driveway (lucky choice for that criminal...). The off-duty police officer called for back-up, grabbed his pepper spray and gun and ran after the guy. The cop chased the man through backyards in the neighborhood, a good distance actually. A witness whose backyard was run through heard the cop tell the guy many times that he was a cop and to put his weapon down. The cop used his pepper spray, the guy stabbed the cop in the shoulder with a screwdriver, and the cop shot him. The criminal is stable in the hospital, the cop was treated for minor wounds on the scene.

We don't live in a neighborhood where gangs are shooting each other. We live in a neighborhood with a cop. But apparently no neighborhood is safe from nut jobs who want to take the relatively minor offense of jacking a car and elevate their problems to include some serious assault - on a cop no less!

12 comments:

Mindy said...

Scary! I'm glad you all are safe and that you called police instead of thinking someone else was going to do it.

Josh n Betsie said...

freaky! im always afraid that will happen here

Sherri said...

I heard about that in the news. How odd that it was in your neighborhood. I'm glad they caught him and the cop wasn't seriously hurt.

Pam Emmons said...

Holy crap! I am glad you guys are ok! And I am glad the cop is ok, too.

Jessica said...

That is so scary! I'm such a fradie-cat I wouldn't be able to go out at night. I'm glad it wasn't your yard.

RaQuelle Willey said...

Yikes, what a crazy night. I almost thought you were going to say, it was all just a bad dream, apparently not. Glad you were safe inside and the cop is ok

Tami and Aaron said...

Crazyness!!! I'm glad everyone is ok and they caught the psycho.

Nicki said...

I'm so sorry! We've been there! It's somewhat good to know, I guess, that your neighbor is a cop and he took care of things.

Carolyn Hanson said...

Yikes. Lately, I'm hearing too many stories like yours for my comfort. Glad you're safe.

Anonymous said...

Aren't we glad it's not Detroit, where the death rate from such idiocy is greater than the death rate of walking the street of Baghdad. Love you all and glad all is well. Kudos to the men in uniform (even when they are not so dressed!) - Dad

Mandie said...

Wow! that is crazy! Glad you guys are okay!

Anonymous said...

omg! totally agree with mindy--good for u for calling. Did Avery and Carson wake up?