Friday, February 6, 2009

Stitches

Waiting for Daddy to come home
Yesterday morning I heard a screaming cry that made me move.

Avery has a kid size metal putter. He's only supposed to use it when we're watching, he's supposed to make sure no one is nearby, and we're always having to tell him to keep the club down.

Can you guess what happened?

So Carson comes running toward me with blood running down his cheek. The cut was only about 7mm long, but it was gaping open about 2mm. Luckily, it was just before 9am and I was able to get a hold of Travis. He came home and took Carson to the Emergency Room. The silver lining for Travis was missing his pedodontics rotation.
All drugged up and can't sit straight
Carson was very good in the ER. Travis said the resident seeing him was obviously very young and new. She said okay we'll just put in a few stitches. Travis had to prod with "Aren't you worried about a zygomatic fracture?" (cheek bone).
"Oh, yeah" she palpates the area "I can't feel past the hematoma, so we'll take a few x-rays."
Travis is thinking, hmm, yeah, good idea...
The x-rays were clear.

Thankfully, the young nervous resident didn't do the stitches, maybe she has a great stitch, but she hadn't inspired much confidence. Instead a PA who had to be at least 70 put the 3 stitches in. She would know her way around a needle and thread! And she did do a nice job.
Here's hoping his cheek heals completely, without a scar...

When Carson got home all drugged up, he was very funny to watch. He was past the lethargy, but he couldn't walk or even sit up very effectively. The only word for him was floppy.
Time to change the band aid
Avery took his turn when he was 18 months (read here). Ever since Carson hit that mark, I've been wondering when his turn would come. He made it to 22 and a half months. I'm wondering if there's a trend with boys. Roughly every year and a half to 2 years they have another trip to the ER. After the stitches at 18 months, Avery had another visit 21 months later (read here). It's been 11 months more, so is he due again sometime this year?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carson has such a cute little nose and round cheeks. Did you get video of him in his druggy stage? I am always amazed that stiches don't leave more of a sign of their whereabouts than they do. I wonder if Carson had a headache?!!! Good thing siblings only accidentally try to kill each other when they are young enough not to think/know about retaliation.

Pam Emmons said...

Poor baby. Remember when Annie broke her thumb? SHe was pretty loopy too, after the drugs and stuff. I don't know if I have ever laughed so hard at her before. Once the stitches come out, and you can put cream on it, rub some cocoa butter (stretch mark cream) on it. It keeps the elasticity in the skin, and has a better chance of not scarring. Also, keep sunscreen directly on it when he goes outside.

Mindy said...

Owie! That's too bad. I hope we never have to go to the ER because if my kids ran at me and were bleeding, I'd panic and maybe even pass out.
You need to always have good insurance! Hope your kids are safe and you don't have to make regular patterned trips!!

Angela said...

I think it's a boy thing. Both Ethan and Ammon have had stitches. I keep waiting for it to happen again.

But how come yours get drugged?! They just pappose mine and let them scream then say to give them motrin when we get home! I think I'd like them to be drugged they're much easier to handle.

Anonymous said...

My poor Carson! When they get hurt like that you want to take the pain away so they don't have to suffer. I hope your boys don't have to visit the emergency room as often as we had to while Travis grew up. Of all our kids he was the one to almost live at the ER. Kevin, Angela and Megan had their turns also, but Travis beat them hands down.
Give him a big hug and kiss from Grammy and Papa. I'll have to give him additional hugs when we get there at the end of the month.
Tell Avery next time he needs to hit the ball instead of his brother. I'm sure he feels bad about it.
Ask Travis if he remembers the time he got stitches and the ER doc gave him expired lidocaine. Needless to say he felt the pain. He finally realized Travis did feel it after he cried enough and read the experation date.

Aaron and Kristel said...

Poor little guy.. as a Mom it breaks your heart every time they get hurt. :( I hope he is feeling much better now :)

Anonymous said...

What a tough man. I bet Avery felt just terrible...hopefully Carson doesn't pick at it much. Battle wounds!