Friday, August 1, 2008

Bug report

Thanks to Betsie for having the answer to our bug question!
And since I'm a total dork and love collecting nominally unimportant knowledge, I enjoyed finding out more...
At THIS article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about the things I learned that there's one type of cicada that hatches in June, but only reaches as far north as Racine, Kenosha and Walworth counties. But the type that hit us here in Milwaukee come out in July and August - so perhaps we're in for quite a few more? Aren't there supposed to be tons of them and aren't they supposed to get annoyingly loud? I haven't heard (or realized I have) anything yet... small year? or just late bloomers? We'll see...

3 comments:

Mindy said...

HA! I'm finally caught up on your blog. :) Took me a while because you write pretty frequently. I love knowing how you're doing though.

Josh n Betsie said...

Glad I could help. They are freaky looking things huh? It is nice to know they aren't harmful to you at all. Every once and while they will dive bomb you though...Like last night josh was taking the garbage out and they went after him...or just the light next to him. Just listen closely and you will hear them.

Pam Emmons said...

I thought the invasion only came like every 7 years or something. I don't know. It's a pretty ugly bug, though!