Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dental School Winter Gala

The much anticipated, long awaited post... :)
Friday was the Marquette University School of Dentistry Class of 2009 Winter Gala. (Prom for dental school). Except way fancier. Apparently, through the years of school there are lots of fund raisers and acquiring of sponsors that pretty much all culminates in the throwing of a big party. And what a party. I guess this year's was the most expensive a class has ever thrown. $24,000! I guess good job to Travis' class for earning that much!

Before the night could start, thanks to my friend Laura for doing my hair!
The event was at the very fancy Phister Hotel (for some pictures of the fancy joint, go here. Thanks to Hailey for requiring these pictures of her Mom.) We got there during cocktail hour and took some pictures before heading into dinner.
My girl Kristel and I hamming it up:

the happy couple:

Some of the girls (missing 4 couples yet)
Kristin, Jessica, Jenni, RaQuelle, Laurie & Kristel

Most of the guys (2 couples still MIA)
Rob, Guy, Todd, Travis, Travis, John, Aaron, Mike:

Kristin, Jessica, Laurie, Kristel, Jenni, Erin, Amy, Sherri, RaQuelle,
and all we're missing is Lacey!

Then it was time to head into the ballroom for dinner, which was super yummy. The only bit that didn't match the fancy ballroom, table setting and food were the guest gifts at the table. A cheap plastic bag with a big tube of toothpaste, toothbrush and floss. Huh, really? Didn't fit so well with the setting, but I guess we all got a laugh out of it! (there's a picture where you can see the bags if you follow the link to see the pictures of the place)
Here's one of the many chandeliers from the ballroom:

Just hanging out after dinner:

Sherri, Kristel, Laurie and Jenni:

Some silly friends, Jenni, RaQuelle & Kristel:

Travis DANCED with me! Without complaint! TRAVIS! While we were out there, he did tell me to enjoy it while I could since I would probably never see it again...

I think Travis was enjoying himself that night...

Here's a picture of everyone that was there. I'd like to say it was the whole crew, but unfortunately I can't. We missed Jared and Wendy due to Wendy being only about a week from delivering.
Todd & Erin, Rob & Amy, Mike & Jess, Lacey & Anibal, Travis & Laurie,
Travis & RaQuelle, Kristel & Aaron, Jenni & John, Guy & Kristin, Eric & Sherri:
What a great night!!! We had so much fun with everyone! Dancing was especially fun - and entertaining... Todd... Guy... I need Jenni's video... hehe. Thanks everyone for being part of a great memory! Ah ha! Here's the video. Nothing like a little "Baby Got Back":


100% Sober from Jenni G on Vimeo.

I asked Travis on the way home if he had fun dancing with me. He said, "I had fun...(big pause) making you happy." SO SWEET! Seriously, what a great night.
Before we took all the pins out, Travis took one last picture of my somewhat rumpled hair:

7 comments:

Mindy said...

Chad doesn't dance either so seeing that Travis did it just to make you happy and have a great time just makes me want to cry in happiness for you. It's so sweet.
You girls all look hot too. :)

Pam Emmons said...

I was hoping you would post some pictures. Glad you had fun... I know we had fun at ours. And I think it was only the second time Pete danced with me...in 9 years!

Iris said...

How fun! Looks like it was a memorable and enjoyable evening. And yes, I too am glad that Travis indulged you. A girl needs a little indulging once in a while :)

Anonymous said...

YOU LOOK AMAZING!! I hope you are proud of yourself-your should be! You don't even look like you just had a baby 4 months ago. LOVE the dress! Tim have NEVER danced with, not even @ our wedding... I'm so glad your night was wonderful!!!! LOVE YOU

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHH!!!!!
Youth, romance, food, glitter, soft lights, (toothpaste!?!...tee hee), and yes even dancing. All enough to keep you reminiscing and smiling for a while. And at the end of the evening a relief to take your shoes off.

RaQuelle Willey said...

You really looked stunning at the ball! That was a lot of fun, great memories. p.s. your husband is awesome for being a good sport and dancing with ya the whole time.

Anonymous said...

Travis got his LOVE of dancing from his dad:) The only time Ben danced a lot with me was when we were called as our stake dance directors in Milwaukie(OR).
You both look stunning in your formal wear. Your hair is great Laurie, I'm impressed.